In 2013, Australia successfully completed a nationwide switchover from analog to digital free-to-air TV. Switching to digital TV meant that viewers would receive more channels with better picture and sound quality. The switch also brought access to more households across Australia than ever before, giving everyone the same access to TV services as those living in major cities.
With the switch brought one big question – is a new antenna required to get digital TV reception? During this period, a number of people contacted digital antenna Melbourne specialists to find out how they could smoothly make the change.
So, why install a digital TV antenna?
Digital TV signals are different to the analog signals that we used to receive. Viewers were advised that once analog was completely phased out, they may be required to replace their old antenna as it might not get digital TV reception. Digital TV offers a wider range of frequencies which is wonderful for viewers.
Your old analog antenna might have been able to receive some digital TV reception; however, the reliability and quality could have been questionable, therefore antenna installation Melbourne specialists recommend installing a digital TV antenna. Installing a digital TV antenna means that you will be able to get digital free-to-air TV reception, with great picture and sound quality.
I have a digital TV antenna, but my reception is poor. What’s the issue?
There is a lot that goes on in between your antenna receiving the signal and you seeing the image on your TV screen. Before broadcasting through the TV, the signal has to make its way from the antenna through a network of cables and components, which work together to give you the picture and sound that you receive on your TV.
If the image or sound quality you are receiving is poor, you should:
- Inspect the connectors and cables at the television set to check they are in working order and connected properly
- Take a look at your antenna from the ground. Check that it is not visibly broken or pointing in the wrong direction. If there is physical damage, call an antenna repair Melbourne specialist.
If there are no visible issues with your antenna or the connections to the TV, then the issue may lie within one of the other components which will require a professional technician to repair it.
At Australian Security & Antennas, we provide digital TV antenna installation and antenna repair in the Melbourne area. Our highly skilled technicians will help give you an informed decision on a number of factors including:
- The ideal location on the roof and style of antenna best suited to closest/strongest signal transmission site
- Digital antenna to match the source broadcast such as either VHF Band 3 digital antenna or UHF Band 4/5 digital antennas with horizontal and vertical polarisation options
- Line of sight factors such as nearby buildings, trees, hills etc.
- Number of existing/required TV outlets
- Detection of any potential interference issue (LTE/4G) that may disrupt digital TV reception
- Required mast height to achieve reliable line of sight to the transmission source.
Contact us today by calling 1300 361 121 and speak with our antenna experts in Melbourne for your digital TV antenna solutions.